"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Thursday, May 17, 2012

El Lorax: En Busca de la Trúfula Perdida

Given my love for all things Dr. Suess and animated, seeing the Lorax was something I have been looking forward to, especially since Horton Hear a Who was so great.  Yes, I have seen all of the Madagascars, Ice Ages, Shreks and as well as most of the rest of the animated "kids" films released in the last 10 years, and I love them.  I even own quite a few.  They're the type of movie I can watch again and again and they still get a laugh out of me;  I have easily seen Monsters Inc. 10+ times.  When The Lorax finally came out here in Cali, I knew there was a good chance it would only be in the theatres in Spanish since it is easier to dub animated films and kids movies usually come in Spanish.  And so it was.  Last weekend I finally decided to go see El Lorax: En Busca de la Trúfula Perdida, and even recruited Jess to go with me.  I accepted the fact that I may end up lost in a Spanish movie, but thought since the intended audience was children under the age of 12, I might be able to pick up on a few things.  To my surprise, I understood just about everything that was being said, outside of the some of the songs.  Now, yes, I probably could have watched it in silence and picked up on the storyline, but the point is that I actually was able to follow the dialogue, which is pretty awesome. 

Luckily, there were less than 25 people in the entire 2:20 showing, as my tolerance for children in movies is low, so there were few interruptions to our viewing.  We were both quite happy with the movie and found ourselves laughing louder than anyone else in the theatre on multiple occasions.  And while I do think I understood at least 85-90% of the movie, I do want to watch it again, in English, just to check my understanding, and because it was a great movie.  Not to mention Pipsqueak, the most adorable little creature in the movie.   How could you not love him?


Even better, given the message of taking care of the environment, I have every intention of showing some all of this in my class next year during our Human Impacts unit.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...