"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Friday, May 4, 2012

Delirio: Hecho en Cali!

Delirio is a salsa/circus/orchestra show that, as the title says, is made in Cali.  The performance we saw (which turned out to be the premier of the newest show) was "María, un Delirio de Amor", which Carlos explained to us was a Colombian version of Romeo and Juliet.  It is based on a novel written by Jorge Isaacs in which cousins Maria and Efrain fall in love, but are torn apart when Efrain must move to London to continue his studies.  Returning years later, he finds that Maria has died.  In the show I couldn't quite decipher what happened next, either Efrain married a ghost, Maria came back to life and they married, Efrain died and married Maria or Efrain married someone else all together.  Hard to say. 

Regardless, the performance was amazing and the dancing and gymnastics/aerobatics blew me away.  If you watch the dancers' feet on the video, it would be easy to think it is double time; it's not.  We got an extra treat when we discovered that there was also a Michael Jackson tribute portion of the show "Nadie es Igual".  This made the $120.000 pesos more than worth it for me; all of the free stuff they handed us as we walked down the read carpet helped too.  This is a production that I think is worth seeing again, although I would probably wait for the next show for a little variety.  Next time friends or family visit I would love to take them to see this because even if you don't love salsa I think anyone can appreciate the talent it takes to perform in this show.

Now, I thought about titling this blog "Why Technology Hates Me (But Really It's Usually My Fault)", but then decided people would be more likely to want to read about awesome salsa/circus shows in Colombia than hear me complain more.  That doesn't mean I'm not going to complain, but I'll try to keep it to a minimum.  You see, we went to Delirio a week ago, and it has taken me about that long to finally figure out a way to finalize and upload the video that I made of snippets from the show.  First, Windows Movie Maker would crap out anytime I tried to rewind in the video as I was editing it.  Weird.  Then when it was finally done (several hours and restarts later) it wouldn't upload to Blogger.  As I tried to upload it to YouTube, I discovered that it wasn't actually in a video, but a project file.  Oops.  Save as video file, wait ridiculously long time for save, upload to Blogger.  Wrong. No matter how long I left it to upload I would come back to an un-uploaded video.  Several days of trying and finally decided to upload the video to YouTube and then post THAT to Blogger...after it uploaded to YouTube for more than 230 minutes.  Por fin, I have a video for you, and while I am not requiring you to watch it, I think it is worth the 5 days it took for me to succeed.  Even if I have a shaky video hand and there are people occasionally talking in the background.  Insider tip: if you click "watch on YouTube" you can watch it full screen.  Enjoy.




Also, we're kind of famous as this is on the Delirio Facebook page,
along with a few others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...