"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Monday, May 28, 2012

Paddling the Pacific

When David's friends Tony and Randy decided to visit, we I spent a lot of time trying to think of a good trip to take them on while they were here.  Luckily we had a 3 day weekend, so that made getting out of Cali for a bit a little more reasonable, but still didn't give us much to work with.  After lots of blog stalking, Lonely Planet reading and advice from friends, we decided to do a kayaking trip to the Pacific with Julio and Bicivan, the same group I went with to Volcan Purace.  I had heard nothing but good thinks about this trip and it really couldn't be worse than the volcano hike, that is off course unless I were to fall and tear my MCL again, but that didn't happen, thank goodness.  In fact, it was probably my favorite thing that I have done so far.  Now, I know I say that a lot, but it really was quite the experience.  Even better, we had 4 other co-workers join us, 3 of which had done the trip at least one other time and Kristin's cousin visited last minute and jumped on board.

Saturday started off early, and to a bit off a rough start with me thinking at 4am that they had been kidnapped as they weren't yet home and David's phone mysteriously shut off mid ring.  Luckily, they were ok, well at least not kidnapped, and we eventually made it to meet up with the rest of our group and were on our way to Buenaventura.  After about a 2.5 hour drive, we were in Buenaventura, a major port city on the Pacific Coast.  While there are actually a lot of goods and money coming through the port, the city itself appears very poor because the people benefiting from the port don't actually live there.  While I wouldn't have minded exploring the city a bit, it left much to be desired and I was OK with jumping onto our lancha for the ride to Juanchaco.  I had been warned that this trip was rather bumpy, but we lucked out and although it was the bumpiest boat ride I had been on, it was smooth compared to normal.  Even better, I didn't get seasick at all since my tolerance for motion (cars, taxis, buses boats etc) has improved about 100 fold since being here. 

After settling into our camp-like cabins, we made our way to the beach to get our kayak on.  A quick tutorial from Julio and we set out to the Pacific.  The first day out was filled with the usual coastal rain, which actually wasn't bad since the weather was still warm and we were pretty wet from the ocean anyway.  We spent the next several hours kayaking through caves and caverns (I don't actually know the difference between the two) and exploring the many little tributaries off the bay.  To my surprise, David and I only flipped once and it totally was not our fault.  It was however David's fault when he "accidentally" hit me in the head with his oar going under the dock.  Then we flipped coming back onto the beach and I was covered EVERYWHERE with black sand.  All in all though, a good day out.

Some people needed more instruction than others.

Julio showing us a map of where we were headed



Sunday was an unusual hot and rain free morning and we set out to explore the three islands across from our beach, including a short walk, several waterfalls, tide pools and even a bat cave.  The sun and stops to hike and explore made for a long day, soar backs and ridiculous tan lines; I was wearing Chaco sandals and capris, so even one week later I have white strap lines zigzagging across my feet and it looks like I am wearing socks.  So attractive.  But oddly enough it was quite relaxing.  Our free afternoon was spent by most sleeping and then we went to watch the sunset over the water.

Hanging out in the bat cave


"We're the three best friends that anyone could have..."




Monday was a no kayaking day and we all thought we were hiking to Ladrilleros about 45 minutes away, but we ended up going to La Barra almost 2 hours away which was not good news for my already-had-enough feet.  My sandals are not three-day-in-a-row shoes.  Ouch.  Walking back on the beach in bare feet helped and then came the socks and sandals which was a significant improvement. 






All in all a was an adventure filled weekend with good friends, good guides, good food and beautiful scenery.  Getting out of the city was a great way to enjoy time with visitors and a long weekend break and explore another part of Colombia.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...