"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

No Pork Castle for Me, Thank You

Every Wednesday I play volleyball with some other teachers, who happen to all be better than me, and speak more Spanish than me.  But, despite my lack of skills in both I managed to get the invite to play at the Binational teachers tournament in October, score.  Let's face it I'll probably sit the bench, but I'll take it.  Anyway, earlier this week (meaning yesterday, since its only Tuesday) one of the teachers, Octavio, sent out an email, which was entirely in Spanish.  Usually somewhere along the way someone will translate it to English, but this one didn't.  I read my way through it and used a little Google translate, but finally decided to kindly ask Amy to give me a quick run down of the invite.  As I suspected, Octavio was inviting us all to his house after volleyball Wednesday to celebrate the upcoming games as well as other various things, for some chorizos and beer, but if we preferred a pork chop (costilla de cerdo) to email him so he could order it.  I decided this morning that I'd be able to go and emailed back "Voy a asistir tambien, pero no castillo de cerdo para mi.  ¡Muchas gracias Octavio!", Reply All of course.  Now perhaps you didn't notice the slight spelling error, just as I hadn't, but my word has an O on the end, not an A.  Which means I replied "I am going to attend as well, but no pork castle for me.  Thank you!"  Within the hour I got a response informing me of my mistake, and when I saw Octavio on the bus he mentioned it too and assured that we'd all have a good long laugh about it tomorrow with our beers and castillos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...