"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Friday, September 23, 2011

Life Without a Car: A Pro-Con-Con-Pro

The privilege of driving is a funny thing.  Before I was 16 I couldn´t wait to drive, I begged my dad to take me to get my license as soon as I got the paperwork, which in turn meant he woke me up one morning when he got home from a midnight shift at 7am to take me.  Then the excitement wore off a bit because I had to drive everywhere and I realized how annoying traffic really was.  When I headed off to the University of Iowa I did so sans car, and anyone who knows anything about my first month of college, that it was not an easy adjustment.  Thanks again to my big sis Nicole for 8 hour round trip drive and 1 night stay just to take me to Target.  By Thanksgiving of my Freshman year, I had a car again.  Then there were the 3 hour (yes, I can make it in just over 3 hours) drives between Chicago & Iowa City in which the reason for the drive determined if at the time I would enjoy or loathe the drive.  So really in the 9 years I have been driving, I´ve only been without access to a car to drive for about 3 months.  Coming down to Cali, I wasn´t sure what life would be like without my own car, but here´s what I´ve come up with so far:

Pro: More exercise walking lots of places
Con: Almost being killed by crazy drivers and motos while walking lots of places; commonly seen are motos driving on the sidewalk to avoid traffic. Scary.
Con: Grocery shopping is a pain
Pro: Not driving in traffic or in a city that appears to have a complete lack of driving laws
Con: Sitting in taxis in traffic or having a crazy taxi driver
Con: It rains a lot, so walking isn´t always an option
Pro: School provides bus to workP
Con: Paying for taxis-Ok this one is kind of neutral, taxis are SO cheap.
Con: Riding a bus to work
Pro: Public transit here is pretty legit, cheap, clean, mostly efficient
Con: CROWDED Buses
Pro: Not paying for gas
Pro: Other people can't ask me to drive them places

Overall I would say it has been more of a positive than a negative.  To be honest until someone else asked me, I had hardly thought about not having a car.  The adjustment this time around has been much easier.  And a good thing, because I doubt Niki would be as willing now to make that trip to Colombia for 1 day just to take me to La Catorce.

2 comments:

  1. Cas, I just got a little choked up when I read this... And I would SO hop a plane to take you to La Catorce (whatever that is). Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how i remember waking you up to get your drivers license that was a long day,letting you drive on lake shore drive for the first time and how nervous you were. remember i always told you that driving was a privilage not having a car makes you think twice how lucky you are when come home and theres one waiting for you. love you DAD

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...