"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Monday, August 29, 2011

Still Disconnected

Still no Internet at home, but we´re hoping it will get set up by this Wednesday. The problem is, the company wants to speak to one of use directly, but only have people who speak Spanish and have no one to translate, but insist that they must speak to us personally. Of course that meant Sebastian put on his best gringo accent and has been pretending to be David on the phone, and Scott and Michael. Friday afternoon they could finally go into the company to actually set things up, which David took care of (while I laid out and read at the pool). So with any luck they will be able to come by this week, which probably means next week. We did discover that Crepes & Waffles (yes that´s a real restaurant in Cali around the corner from us) has free Wi-Fi, but I don´t always feel safe carting around my laptop and displaying it in public. The biggest frustration is mostly because I was relying on using Skype to communicate with friends and family back home and I can´t get it to work at school, not to mention most people are working when I would be calling from school. Bah humbug.

Other than that not much to update on, spent some time this weekend relaxing with friends by the pool and drinking Sangria at Blondie´s, a great bar in San Fernando with a great selection of classic American music. I mean when the Grease medley is played, you know it’s a great place. Speaking of Grease, that is the all-school musical this year, and you better believe I´ll find a way to get involved in that. Students are still great, open house is tomorrow, so I´m going to get my nails done tonight, because the parent´s tend to be very interested in how teachers dress and present themselves, which means I also have some serious ironing to do since our maid doesn’t come until Wednesday. Yes we got a maid. Yes this is normal in Colombia. And while I originally thought it was just lazy to get a maid I realized the following things: 1. Cali is very dusty and ALL tile floors are VERY hard to keep clean. 2. No dryer means ironing everything. 3. Rosa was very grateful to have people to fill her schedule so employing someone else is really great 4. $33.000/visit (about $16 USD) is TOTALLY worth it.

Well now that I have sufficiently wasted almost my entire prep, I must get back to work. More to come later, including Cooking in Colombia!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...