"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Retracing My Steps

Yes I KNOW I haven´t updated this religiously, but no Internet at home + first week of school + moving to a new country makes it difficult to find time for some of these things. But I will try to retrace the steps I have taken here in Cali since my first post.

Our first Friday here we had lunch at our director´s house which is here on the campus. We had arepa which is a traditional type of bread treat they have here and pan de bono which is hot cheese filled bread rolls, both delicious. It was also a juice workshop in which we got to try different juices and combinations of all the yummy fruits they have including caruba (David´s favorite), lulo, mango, papaya, maracuya (passion fruit), guanábana (my favorite) and a couple others I can´t remember. They were just as delicious as the food. During our lunch break Joe, our director (who is originally from Indiana), took out his set of Bocce balls. David and I quickly got on a team and showed off our skills. Everyone was pretty impressed with us and those who weren’t playing pulled up chairs around where we were playing and started watching. Our team won 3 of 4 if I remember correctly. David told me that I throw just like my grandpa, which if you know my grandpa is a pretty great compliment for any Bocce ball-er to receive.

That Saturday we spent the morning shopping some more and then moving into our apartments. Since the bus moved south to north, David and I had LOTS of helpers moving our things to our apartment. We unpacked and unpacked and unpacked some more, then decided to take a break for a swim. While we were up at the pool Sebastian and Matilde stopped back by with our Space Bag of sheets, pillows and towels we left on the bus. The security guard gave them a really hard time about getting in because he couldn’t call us because we didn’t have phones. We were glad to see they were being so strict. We decided not to go dancing that night and stayed in. We attempted to put curtains on our floor to ceiling glass doors in the bedroom, but they were too short length and width…and then the holder for the rod came out of the ceiling. Needless to say we were up preeeeetty early Sunday morning…

And so we ventured back to Homecenter (similar to Home Depot or Lowe´s) to return our cortinas and buy new hardware along with some other things we were in need of. I was worried about having to return something, but given my overwhelming experiences with returning things in the states, it wasn’t too bad. I was even able to double check (in Spanish) that we could use the voucher for other things if we couldn´t find curtains. We found some that are still too short, but they get the job done so they were good enough for us. In the afternoon we went to the new chemistry teacher, Wojciech's house where he and his wife Sonia made us homemade pizza´s and gave us a chance to make some pizzas of our own with the ingredients we brought. Very yummy and very relaxing after a busy week. Monday started a loooong week of meetings, but also gave us a great opportunity to meet all of our new co-workers. Those updates will have to wait for another time. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...