"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Where Does One Find an Ewok?

As you may have read on my To-Do List, I've been wanting to watch the Star Wars movies.  Given that I am 25 and have NEVER seen one the whole way through, I found it necessary.  I have a distinct memory of one of the movies being played when we were visiting my aunt and uncle in Vegas when I was in grade school, but I'm pretty sure at the time I thought it was lame and either fell asleep or went outside.  Who knows.  Nevertheless, clearly I have grown up and can now appreciate some of the finer things in life. 

When my mom saw this on my list, she tried to help by buying the complete set for Christmas.  Unfortunately, it was the Blu Ray set and as it turns out, the DVD set is nowhere to be found.  Bah humbug.  Luckily, ever since we got our Wii at Christmas David has become very technologically savvy and errr, ummm..."found" all six movies for me!  In the last week we have finished episodes 4-6, those are the ones that came out in '77, '80 and '83.  Half way there!  Here are my thoughts so far:
Ewok!
  • As predicted by David, episode VI was my favorite for one simple reason: Ewoks.  Have you seen these little guys?!  How cute are they?!  I couldn't stop laughing and giggling at there little antics and saying "I want one!".  I'm pretty sure any respectable Star Wars fan has now stopped reading.  So be it.  They are damn cute and I want one.  Mom if your reading, this year's Christmas list has "Ewok" on it.  Good luck.
  • I would have fallen in love with Harrison Ford sooner if I had watched Star Wars.  Han Solo > Indiana Jones?  Close call. 
  • Jabba the Hutt is  d i s g u s t i n g.
  • In case you have lived in a hole since 1977, be warned the following bullet points contain spoilers.
I wish I didn't already know...
  • Leia and Luke kiss AND they are brother and sister.  Also, why does no one point that out in the movie!?  I mean c'mon Han, don't act like that wasn't the first thing that came to your head!
  • "Luuuuke (heavy breathing) I am your father"
  • The Emperor and Darth Vader die.  Expected yes, but still spoils the intensity of the scene.
  • The cute little kid I saw in the previews for episodes 1/2/3 turns into Darth Vader
because I kept asking "Is this the one where...", "When do we find out..." instead of just enjoying the movies.  My bad. 

OK, some real thoughts:
  • Intricate plot and story line, but some of the lines and scenes I couldn't take seriously.  Young Luke could have used some acting classes if you ask me.  (Ensue hateful blog comments)
  • Special effects came a long way in just 6 years, and MUCH further since then.
  • All of the languages confuse me. C3PO translates for Jabba to the bounty hunter, but talks to both of them in English. And Han talks to Chewbaca in English, but understands his garbles. So does everyone understand English, but not everyone can speak it?  I need to do some research.
  • I am eagerly awaiting the next time we have a free night to watch the next episode.
More Star Wars insights to come as we watch the last first last three episodes.  Can't wait to scratch it off my list!

     

1 comment:

  1. Found...I have all 6 on dvd here...always ask Rob first.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...