"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Monday, March 19, 2012

Pinterest, I Think I Love You

I know a lot of people have a lot of complaints about this new social media, but I don't care.  I have tried so many new things in the last few weeks and I have loved every minute of it.  Here are some things I have made from recipes I found on Pinterest:
Sugar Free Homemade Apple Sauce

I made this one mostly for baking, but its a great snack too.  Its nice to keep a store of it in the fridge so when I need it as an oil replacement I don't have to make a new batch every time.

Easy Mac & Cheese

Not to be confused with "Easy Mac", gross.  I came home from work and saw this recipe pop up, realized I had everything I needed and immediately made my way to the kitchen to whip it up for dinner.  The trick is cooking your noodles in milk.  You don't have to drain it and the milk serves as the base for the cheese sauce.  Genius.  This does require serious pot baby sitting and the milk will boil over if you aren't careful.  And if you don't learn our lesson the first time it will boil over 2-3 more times.  Oops. 

I used Monterrey Jack cheese because it was what he had already.  After cooking the noodles, I put it in a pan and topped it with some freshly sliced tomatoes and baked it for about 10-15 minutes.  While the blog suggests it as a side dish, I enjoy Mac & Cheese all on its own, and I definitely don't think this made 4 servings, so next time I'll be making more.  Also, its great leftover. 

Spicy Crab Stuffed Cucumbers

I made this when we had people over for David's birthday.  I wasn't in love, but everyone seemed to really enjoy them.  While Colombia has a wide variety of canned fish (squid, salmon, oysters, cuttlefish among others) crab isn't one of them.  I used frozen crab sticks.  I think I would have enjoyed them more.  Still call this one a success though.
Quinoa Pizza Bites

I didn't use any onions, but did throw in a couple dashes of onion powder.  No fresh basil either.  I made some with pepperoni and some with mushroom, both delicious.  I didn't have mini muffin pans so I used regular sized ones; they fell apart a bit more, so I would highly recommend the mini pans if you have them.
And last, but certainly not least...
Personal Sized Baked Oatmeal

These are a new favorite in our apartment.  I have made them 3 or 4 times now and David even offered to make them this weekend because he wanted them so bad!  This is also the original reason I made that homemade applesauce.  I've probably made the most edits to this recipe, so here's what I used:
 
2 eggs
2 cups sugar free applesauce
5 cups rolled oats
1 over ripened banana, mashed
2 cups milk
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt

You know that 1 or 2 bananas that always gets left uneaten at the end of the week and starts to turn gross and brown?  Instead of throwing it out, put it in the freezer.  These bananas are great for baking and if you have enough you can make some yummy banana bread too.  I used less milk because mine just seemed a bit too moist.  As for the flaxseed in the original recipe?  Yeah right, like I'm going to go on the hunt for that here.  I just left it out and it seems to work just fine.  I also learned my lesson the first two times with the cupcake liners: NOT worth it.  It's a waste of liners and they stick to the oatmeal; we've eaten a lot of paper with our oatmeal. 

I usually make a 3-4 different varieties with each batch.  Some include: banana and peanut butter for David, banana topped with a bit of brown sugar, apple cinnamon, strawberry and chocolate chip.  We keep them in the fridge and can grab 1 or 2 for a breakfast on the way to school, or a small snack when we need something to tie us over.  If you like oatmeal, you HAVE to try these.  Huge success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...