"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Saturday, April 14, 2012

The New Normal

Now that I have been here in Cali for more than 7 months (crazy, right?) I have been looking back on some of those things that really threw me for a loop when I first got here.  I still don't think I ever really had culture shock, but there are definitely some things that caught my attention my first few weeks.  These are now things that I see or experience quite often, and usually don't think twice about, except for maybe a laugh or two.
  • Being in a cab with the tank reading E and/or having to stop for gas
  • Seeing a family of 4 riding on a moto
  • Knowing its OK to cross the street only when the street performers and jugglers entertain waiting traffic
  • Ridiculously enhanced breasts and butts
  • Not having Internet and/or power at school in the morning.  OK, so the power thing has only happened twice after rainy nights, but I've learned to embrace it and have an energy free alternative just in case.
  • Our cab driver watching music videos on a portable player, normal right?
  • Motos that drive on the sidewalk to avoid traffic
  • A horse or mule drawn wagon on the road with cars, trucks and motos
  • Brand representatives at the stores trying to sell me things (e.g., toothpaste, laundry detergent, chicken seasoning, etc.)
There is however, one thing that I would like to add that I don't think I will ever get used to that still makes me awkward/uncomfortable/anxious: that would be the workers in clothing stores that attack me upon entering and continue to follow me around the store.  They are kind of like that servant in Adam Sandler's "Mr. Deeds" who is "very, very sneaky".


I specifically learned to say "solo mirando" to help them understand that I don't want a shopping partner and that I am just browsing; unfortunately, few actually get the message.  This leads me to move swiftly through stores in attempts to avoid and dodge the workers and in some cases not even enter stores where the worker to customer ratio is not in my favor (really anything over 1:1 is dangerous and scary).  Needless to say, I haven't shopped a whole lot here in Cali.


I'm sure there is plenty more to add to the list, and it will likely continue to grow.  I will keep you updated on all of the quirky things I witness on a daily basis here in Cali.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...