"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page"-Saint Augustine

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Material Girl

As you may have read when I was taking on my culinary challenge, Kelsi and I who share a birthday, had an 80s themed party.  Completely her idea, but I obviously fell in love.  I love the 80s.  Sure, you can say I really only had about 3 years in the 80s, but I really do think I was meant to enjoy the 80s for a little longer than that.  But then again who doesn't love the 80s?  The clothes, the hair, the music, all fabulous.  And it's somewhere in the late 80s early 90s that I fell in love with Madonna.  I have distinct memories of listening to my step-mom's Immaculate Collection CD with my sister and I can still belt out the words to almost all the songs on that CD.  Even recently in Spanish class, I was asked if I could be the daughter of any famous person, who would it be, and my immediate response was Madonna.  I'm not entirely sure why, but I think being 5 years old and dancing around the living room to her music made her seem like a good choice.  So when it came to this 80s party, I decided to take on not only the Rubik's cub cake, but Madonna's look as well.  I've done 80s before and thought I needed to step it up a notch this time.  Sometime freshman or sophomore year in college I did the neon thing with the side ponytail (and looked like a 12 year old) and our junior year my sorority hosted an 80s prom.
If I was 12 in the 80s this is what I would have looked like.

80s Prom.  If you're seeing this Fitzy, I'm sorry!
Now normally if I needed 80s attire in the US I would hit up the thrift store, but Colombia doesn't have those.  Luckily, the 80s styles JUST hit Colombia so once I decided on the Madonna look I wanted, shopping wasn't toooo difficult, but a little more pricey than I would have liked.  I remembered that I had a black blazer here with me, so all I needed were some parachute-esk pants, a lacy tank top, a big hair bow, lace gloves, lots of necklaces and some sort of religious emblem.  I found dangling cross earrings and a bow no problem and turned lace socks into gloves.  I went on the hunt for parachute pants knowing they were in style because I have seen than on women here more than I'd like to say.  In fact, when I went into a store to look for some, I found only a one piece tube top parachute pants suite and in trying to explain to the sales girl that I only needed the pants she responded, "Like mine?" and she was in fact wearing the exact pants I needed, in white.  So $40.000 later I had my pants and was ready to go.  After some curling, teasing and a lot of spray I was set for the party, and I have to say it looked pretty good.


While I can't model and had awkward hand and facial expressions all night during our photo shoots, I think my outfit itself was almost dead on.  Go me.  And I don't know if it was the clothes, the music or the fact that it was my birthday, but it was one of the most fun nights I've had in a while.  Thanks again to Kelsi and Kristin for throwing one heck of a party and of course Madonna for being such an inspiration.

Here are some more awesomely 80s get ups:
Men of the 80s

Best Hair!



And in case you suddenly got an urge to listen to Madonna, here you go:


Lady With an Attitude,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...